Samuel Kelley was born in 1798 in Ohio and died in 1878 in Grant County, Indiana. He married Mary Holder or Holden in the early 1820’s and had 11 boys. Mary was born in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1802. She also died in 1878. Their children were: David, James B., Jonathan, Henry Smith, Samuel, Orr M., William, Stephen B. Abraham, John Milton, and Daniel B.
Fom the ‘Buchanan and Clinton Counties Missouri Biographical Record’ of Judge Henry S. Kelley (Samuel’s son) published in 1893.
Our subject’s birth occurred near Cincinnati, Ohio. His father, Samuel, a native of Ohio, was a mechanic, having a copper shop and employing about fourteen workmen. After selling this he removed to Hamilton County, where he engaged in farming, and about 1840 went to Wayne County, Ind., later to Henry, and still later to Grant County, in the same state. During all of this time he engaged in agriculture. Our subject’s paternal grandfather, William, emigrated when a young man from his native Emerald Isle, near Dublin, first settling in Pennsylvania, and later going to Ohio and being one of the early settlers near Cincinnati. In the War of 1812 he was in active service with his two sons, John and David, all of whom were in Hull’s surrender. The wife of William Kelley was before her marriage a Miss Wallace, an aunt of General Lew Wallace’s father. Mr. Kelley, who was a well-to-do man in this world’s goods, was one of the contractors for the Miami Canal, and was prominently connected with many public enterprises.
Our subject’s father engaged in farming in Indiana until his death in 1878. He was a member of the Christian Church, and a man of upright life and exemplary conduct. His wife, formerly Miss Mary Holder, was born in Cincinnati, her parents having emigrated there from Pennsylvania. Her death occurred in Grant County, Ind., in the same year as that of her husband. Of her eleven children ten grew to adult years, and five brothers of our subject were in the Civil War, two of these Samuel and William dying while in the service. The others Johnathan, Abraham and Daniel, served until the close of the conflict and are still living.
Samuel Kelley came to Henry County Indiana in about 1838. He purchased the Samuel Osborn farm in the spring of 1846. He obtained a grant for forty acres in Grant County, IN in the “South East Quarter of the South West Quarter of Section Two in Township 23 (Green Township) North of Range six east in the district of lands subject to sale at Indianapolis, India na containing forty acres” ref: Grant paper on file dated 1 January 18 50 and signed by Zachary Taylor. Source: Jack Wise
1840 Census 1230001/01001
Early Land Records of Green Township 23 Range 6 Grant County, IN. Green Twp 23 – Range 6. DATE NAME SECTION ACRES HUNDREDS. 30 June 1849 Samuel Kelley 2 40 22, 11 Aug 1848 Samuel Kelley 2 40 4, 4 June 1853 Samuel Kelley 11 120, 19 July 1853 Samuel Kelley 11 80 19
From the History of Grant County, page 160 “Green township was organized In 1847 and was named in memory of the gallant General Greene. It is four miles wide and seven miles long. The first election was held in the cabin of Samuel Kelley, the same year, 1848. Soon after the place of holding elections was changed to the house of Isaac Rivis, thence to Minor’s shop, which stood where we now find the home of Charles Deer; from there it was changed to Knotty Corner, and from there to Point Isabel, where it is now held. Among the first trustees were Samuel Kelley, Cyrus Crenier and Virgil Hale, the latter holding this office for ten years. Moses Jordan and James Hamilton were justices of the peace; David Hannah, treasurer and Marland Knox, clerk. From 1865 to 1877 the office of trustee was filled by the following persons: Ebeazer John, James Kelley, Johnson Eakins (four terms), N.J. Leisure (four terms), Darius Nesbitt, (two terms) and Jarret Covalt.” And from the same source “First Settlers. — In 1815 Samuel Osborn settled on a claim located where Moses B. Harper now lives. Samuel Kelley bought this claim of him in the spring of 1846 and made a farm there which has been known as the Kelley farm for a number of years.”
The organization of the Church of God also took place in his cabin. Source: J.W. Wise
In 1860 his is living in Grant County and has $1600 in Real Estate and $200 in Personal assets. He is living in Franklin Township with a Marion Post Office and is number 675/675
In 1870 there is a John Kelley 20 living with them (grandson?) who works on the farm and a Nathan Kelley 8 (grandson?). John and Nathan were both born in IN.
The 1876 Grant County Atlas says of Samuel Kelley “he is now a feeble old man, whose labors are almost over. In the early development of the township, he took an active part, and has ever manifested a deep interest in all that tended to advance